Sunday, April 11, 2010

Singing In the Car

Few things in life stand out more to a parent than something their child says or does. I have many vivid memories of my children's young lives. One of those memories makes me smile to this day. It was so much fun I have saved a reminder on my phone just for this memory. What led up to this is something every child is forced to endure every time they ride in the car with their parents.


We were no different than any other parent of the time with the music we listened to. We grew up with Lynyrd Skynyrd, Black Sabbath, ZZ Top, Steve Miller, and the Eagles. Of course we had cassettes (!) in the car that were always popped in as soon as we started on the journey we were taking. It really didn't matter if it was thirty minutes or thirty hours, there was music in the car. At that time the kids were inundated with our music as they had no choice. They were trapped. To this day, they all remember the music, and thankfully, they appreciate it.

Because I enjoy singing and like many different types of musical genres, I sang in the car most of the time. Three of my kids would join in regularly, but one of them only joined in a specific song. That was Brandon. He would only sing the chorus with me, but he sang it with gusto. That song was "Gimme Three Steps" by Lynyrd Skynyrd. It is such a great memory that today my ringtone for him is the beginning of the chorus from "Gimme Three Steps".

Thanks to Brandon, he began my need to give each person on my phone their own personal ringtone that reminds me of them. Something in each of these songs means something to me and my memories of them. Thank you Brandon for solidifying my sentimental side.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates