Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Real Father's Day Post

There have been many people in my life who are dads. I want to tell you a little about my dad. My dad was only 20 when I was born. Really, he was just a kid himself. What I remember about growing up with him is kind of amusing at times and heart wrenching at different times. So here goes.

I often tell people I had a bat in my hand before I could walk. Knowing what I know about my dad, that is very likely true. He is a die-hard St. Louis Cardinal fan. Trust me we were lost in St. Louis often enough I should know. I remember sitting between home plate and first base many times. I was lucky enough to see some of the greats play. Of course, the wreck we had while on the way to Busch stadium was quite memorable also. Another baseball plus that he taught me, I DON’T THROW LIKE A GIRL! Thanks Dad! My boys have always been impressed by that skill, along with the fact that I know how to throw a spiral. That’s football for those of you who may not know. That is also thanks to Dad.

What capped off the fact that my dad is great has to do with a couple of really hard days for me (and the rest of the family). He gave the service, along with my brother, for the funeral of my angel, Amanda. I know that had to be one of the hardest things he’s ever done. It was a very personal thing to do and that is forever in my memory of Dad being there. Thanks Dad.

The next day was the day we brought a tree from Wisconsin to Illinois to plant in the cemetery for Amanda. The temperature was over 100 that day, but my dad was out there digging just as much as our 20 year old son and my husband were. Sweat was pouring off of him, but he didn’t stop once except for water. Then he was right back at it. Once again, he pulled something out of his hat and just did it. Thanks Dad.

I can’t say it enough Dad. Thank you for all you’ve done for me. I love you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates